Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hello!

I just came from my local Apple Store, and I’ve been closely inspecting and testing the new M4 iPad Pro. This is not a review, but it can provide useful details that many people could be interested in.

Lets begin with the experience of grabbing the new 11” model With the hands. It feels light and thin, but not a big differenice with the previous one. The colors are nice and, like you may know already, the space black is darker than the M2 space grey. I’m not sure which one I would pick up, but both look gorgeous.

Now, the screen. First of all, it looks nice, and while LCD iPad Pros usually have a response time that causes a bit of ghosting (never bothered me), this OLED screen doesn’t have it. Images are crisp even in motion. There’s PWM, tested with my phone and an app that allows you to see it. But, it’s weird, because it only becomes noticeable when you approach the camera less than 12cm to the screen. At a normal distance, it is barely noticeable. And honestly, during the time I’ve been using it, it didn’t bother my eyes at all. But again, I went to test a bit the iPhone 15 and it didn’t bother me either. I’ve grown resistance to PWM? Who knows.

What pleasantly surprised me, and I’m sure no one is expecting this from a post like this, is the heat. While my M2 becomes hot when you intensely use the 3D Apple Maps, and it gets toasty and uncomfortable to touch with modern games, this M4 iPad Pro barely gets a bit warm at the Apple logo. It seems like it spreads more heat through the screen side. Maybe it is because of the extra shielding/heat dissipation, maybe it is because of the M4 having one less performance core (I was using a 256GB one), or maybe it’s the magic of N3E. But it’s comfortable to use even with graphical intense apps/games.

Pleasantly surprised with this great device, constrained only by the current version of iPadOS. I still would get one, maybe the viewing angles aren’t as darn good as the IPS LCD M2 iPad Pro, but overall it is a better iPad Pro in all regards. Except if you really use the ultra wide camera.

EDIT: I almost forgot, the nano textured glass finish. It takes some clarity, crispness and sharpness away, but compared with the matte glass protectors I’ve used in the past, this looks better (I mean, It affects less the image quality). But I’m sticking to the old good glossy finish.

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I have the 11” M4, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask :)
Me too. I have the nano texture 11” so happy to answer any questions from anyone.

My question to both of you would be…have either one of you had the larger 12.9” iPad before and if so how has the smaller 11” compared? Do you miss the larger display?

I ask because although I love my 12.9” iPad Pro‘s display for viewing, movies, browsing, multitasking etc…it can be a bit cumbersome at times. The 12.9” is amazing in the Magic Keyboard and I’m just not sure if I’d get used to the smaller display. I may have been spoiled by the larger display. Lol

Enjoy your new iPads!

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
My question to both of you would be…have either one of you had the larger 12.9” iPad before and if so how has the smaller 11” compared? Do you miss the larger display?

I ask because although I love my 12.9” iPad Pro‘s display for viewing, movies, browsing, multitasking etc…it can be a bit cumbersome at times. The 12.9” is amazing in the Magic Keyboard and I’m just not sure if I’d get used to the smaller display. I may have been spoiled by the larger display. Lol

Enjoy your new iPads!
I’ve gone between the 11” and 12.9” multiple times in the past and used both together for a while also. The 12.9 was better used at a desk for me, and the 11” was more portable. The Magic Keyboard experience was better on the 12.9”, but I’m really loving the new 11” Magic Keyboard and the whole form factor. Reminds me of an old 12” MacBook. I also own a 13” MacBook Air, so if I do need a bigger screen, I just use that.

With the 11” I use the ‘more space’ option in settings, and that works well for me in terms of multitasking.

NARadyk

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2021
UK

Enjoy your new iPads!

Indeed. I’ve had 3 generations of the 12.9 before, including the M1 and M2.

I was always sucked into the “bigger is better” and “with the larger screen, you’ll be able to do more productive things!”. However, I know that all I was really doing was falling for the hype and being victim to FOMO.

Each time, they seemed amazing for like a week as I revelled in that new toy feeling. It wasn’t too long after that all 3 ended up on the side unused. I had too many other, more convenient things that were easier to use and handle, such as my iPhone Pro Max.

I wasn’t using them for the media consumption or for “productivity”. I just simply wasn’t using them at all because they were more of a burden to use than anything else.

This is simply my opinion and my experience. Now the 11” is the same as the 13” in specs, it was a no brainer for me to finally stop selling myself a lie and get the one that I would use more as a tablet.

That’s how I ended up with the 11”. Hope this helps.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I have the 11” M4, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask :)
The hottest topics are the speakers and the “grain” on the screen. Any insight? I’m debating updating my M2 mostly due to needing more storage. But I do use the speakers a ton for podcasts , YouTube and casual music listening

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The hottest topics are the speakers and the “grain” on the screen. Any insight? I’m debating updating my M2 mostly due to needing more storage. But I do use the speakers a ton for podcasts , YouTube and casual music listening
Man, I too would love some extra storage on my M2… for now I’ve given up on it and I’m gonna use an external compact SSD.

Regarding the speakers, from what I’ve heard on videos and reviews, they don’t sound as loud as the M2 iPad Pro, but I have the feeling that in person the differences aren’t noticeable.

I wasn’t able to test the speakers on the Store, so let’s see what @Macintosh101 has to say about it. But my feeling is that, despite being a bit weaker and muffled, they still sound really great.

Reactions: jonnyb098

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Man, I too would love some extra storage on my M2… for now I’ve given up on it and I’m gonna use an external compact SSD.

Regarding the speakers, from what I’ve heard on videos and reviews, they don’t sound as loud as the M2 iPad Pro, but I have the feeling that in person the differences aren’t noticeable.

I wasn’t able to test the speakers on the Store, so let’s see what @Macintosh101 has to say about it. But my feeling is that, despite being a bit weaker and muffled, they still sound really great.
Wrong, big diff in speakers 11" M1 v 11" M4, main reason I returned mine for now. If my M1 dies will have no choice but for $500AUD more than what my M1 was, it's a downgrade in speakers.
Spoiled the experience IMO.

• Angry
Reactions: alecgold

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Wrong, big diff in speakers 11" M1 v 11" M4, main reason I returned mine for now. If my M1 dies will have no choice but for $500AUD more than what my M1 was, it's a downgrade in speakers.
Spoiled the experience IMO.
So… contrary to what I thought, the difference I hear on the videos is even more noticeable in person? It’s a shame, because M1/M2 iPad Pro sound really great TBH

Reactions: Surfsalot

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
So… contrary to what I thought, the difference I hear on the videos is even more noticeable in person? It’s a shame, because M1/M2 iPad Pro sound really great TBH
apparently the 13" is closer in sound to the 11" M1

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
Bought mine today, replacing my old 9.7”. This is the best iPad ever. For sure. Enjoying it a lot. I have only one big complaint. Moving the face camera to the side was a huge mistake. I use the 11 in portrait mode 99% of the time, and I am receiving the ”camera not visible” constantly while authenticating with Face ID. Its even more funny while authorizing downloads in the App Store as you need to double tap power button which is in the top right and of course there is a lot of chance to cover the front camera in the process, making Face ID to complain…I cannot believe they have done this, just for assuming that you will buy the iPad with the keyboard. I will end up disabling Face ID.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Bought mine today, replacing my old 9.7”. This is the best iPad ever. For sure. Enjoying it a lot. I have only one big complaint. Moving the face camera to the side was a huge mistake. I use the 11 in portrait mode 99% of the time, and I am receiving the ”camera not visible” constantly while authenticating with Face ID. Its even more funny while authorizing downloads in the App Store as you need to double tap power button which is in the top right and of course there is a lot of chance to cover the front camera in the process, making Face ID to complain…I cannot believe they have done this, just for assuming that you will buy the iPad with the keyboard. I will end up disabling Face ID.
lol it's worse with M1, one of the good things about the M4

Reactions: alecgold

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
lol it's worse with M1, one of the good things about the M4
Worse Why? On the M4 it assumes that you have a keyboard attached, which is bad. In portrait mode, you basically cover the camera just holding it normally if you use the right hand. Without Face ID this is not a problem, but with it, it’s really inconvenient. I’m getting constantly asked for the code as camera is covered. Thanks god I’m right-handed, otherwise it will be an instant return.

Reactions: Rockhouse

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Worse Why? On the M4 it assumes that you have a keyboard attached, which is bad. In portrait mode, you basically cover the camera just holding it normally if you use the right hand. Without Face ID this is not a problem, but with it, it’s really inconvenient. I’m getting constantly asked for the code as camera is covered. Thanks god I’m right-handed, otherwise it will be an instant return.
Cause in landscape your left hand covers the camera.

Reactions: Populus and Shifts

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
They are just moving the problem around I guess. I don’t think these ipads are very good for continuous usage in landscape mode. For me makes more sense to have it in portrait on the 11”
It’s moving the problem around but I prefer them putting the cameras on the larger edge.

One solution I had thought about, even before the new iPad Pro was released, was putting two FaceID sets, one in the short edge and anther one on the long edge. But I guess that’s too much of a hassle.

BTW, you say you cover Face ID while pushing the Lock button, which is on the upper-right corner, but I don’t see how can this happen. If you hold your iPad with the left hand and push the upper-right Lock button with your right hand, there’s no problem! IDK, I wouldn’t use my left hand to click that button…

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I guess it just goes to show there is no one "right" or "best" position for Face ID. Apple seems to have gone with the assumption that majority will use their iPad in landscape mode and based their front camera placement off that. Perhaps their user data really does support that decision and we are the minority who happen to use our iPads heavily in portrait orientation as well.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I had another “idea” lol

Putting FaceID on the bezel of the corner where the Lock button is. That would imply separating FaceID from the main front facing camera, being more expensive to make, but it could be a nice place for it!

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
I guess it just goes to show there is no one "right" or "best" position for Face ID. Apple seems to have gone with the assumption that majority will use their iPad in landscape mode and based their front camera placement off that. Perhaps their user data really does support that decision and we are the minority who happen to use our iPads heavily in portrait orientation as well.
I figure that not having the camera on the long side is seriously annoying in keyboard mode, but in tablet mode it’s not such a big problem to rotate to landscape just for FaceTime.

Last edited:

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Indeed. I’ve had 3 generations of the 12.9 before, including the M1 and M2.

I was always sucked into the “bigger is better” and “with the larger screen, you’ll be able to do more productive things!”. However, I know that all I was really doing was falling for the hype and being victim to FOMO.

Each time, they seemed amazing for like a week as I revelled in that new toy feeling. It wasn’t too long after that all 3 ended up on the side unused. I had too many other, more convenient things that were easier to use and handle, such as my iPhone Pro Max.

I wasn’t using them for the media consumption or for “productivity”. I just simply wasn’t using them at all because they were more of a burden to use than anything else.

This is simply my opinion and my experience. Now the 11” is the same as the 13” in specs, it was a no brainer for me to finally stop selling myself a lie and get the one that I would use more as a tablet.

That’s how I ended up with the 11”. Hope this helps.

A bit the same here. I went from an 11” m1 to a 12.9” m2 because I needed more storage and most of all couldn’t do without 5G. And the better display of the 12 was nice as well. But the blooming… and it’s large. In retrospect, it was a bit of bigerrrr, powerrrr, foto etc and to be honest a bit of a mistake.

so now I’m back with the 11” m4, 1tb, 5G and so happy with it. It’s much more manageable. And as I walk with it from meeting to meeting and then use it for jotting notes and making reminders? 11” is all I need. And when I sit down, I use an external screen, Magic Mouse and it’s really just as capable as the 13.
I come from the m2 12.9 and now have the m4 11”.
the sound isn’t that bad. Yess it might be slightly less, but then again, it is a tablet. Not a hifi set, what do you expect?

Reactions: Populus

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
A bit the same here. I went from an 11” m1 to a 12.9” m2 because I needed more storage and most of all couldn’t do without 5G. And the better display of the 12 was nice as well. But the blooming… and it’s large. In retrospect, it was a bit of bigerrrr, powerrrr, foto etc and to be honest a bit of a mistake.

so now I’m back with the 11” m4, 1tb, 5G and so happy with it. It’s much more manageable. And as I walk with it from meeting to meeting and then use it for jotting notes and making reminders? 11” is all I need. And when I sit down, I use an external screen, Magic Mouse and it’s really just as capable as the 13.

I come from the m2 12.9 and now have the m4 11”.
the sound isn’t that bad. Yess it might be slightly less, but then again, it is a tablet. Not a hifi set, what do you expect?
Not a downgrade for another $500AUD on top of what my M1 cost would be good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.